VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 81 TRUST FUND SCHOLARSHIP
Post 81 Trust Fund Scholarship was established from funds recovered when the Post 81’s charter was revoked. The Council concluded to make a restricted fund to support Department of Oregon VFW Members Families
Up to Five  $1,000 Scholarships
Eligibility & Criteria for Selection:
Applicant must be a 2017 high school graduating student who is a Child, Grandchild or Great-Grandchild of a Department of Oregon VFW member who is presently, or was at the time of their death, a member in good standing. Applicant must have applied or been accepted to a 2 year Community College or Vocational School, or a 4 year College or University in the United States. Applicant must be actively involved in Community Service activities in either school, community, or both. Applicant must have an accumulative 2.5 GPA or above
Applicant must submit with application a 300 word neatly typed essay on the theme:
“My Responsibility to America”
Applicant must provide copy of School Transcripts with application. Scholarship Use: The Scholarship will be paid directly to the school of choice, once attendance as a full time student is confirmed by the school, and must be used within one  year of High School Graduation.
Must be submitted in person NLT 4:00 PM, or by U. S. Mail, post marked NLT February 17, 2017
To: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Department of Oregon, 12440 NE Halsey Street, Portland, Oregon 97230. Get your applications online at: www.vfworegon.org or Call 503-255-5808 and an application can be mailed to you.
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 81 TRUST FUND .SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
PHONE: ____________________ ALTERNATE: _________________________
GRADE POINT AVERAGE (Cumulative): _____________
RANK (in class): ________OF________ seniors.
College or school you are planning to attend: ___________________________________
Major Field of study: ________________________________________________
SAT or ACT Scores (If available) SAT: CR________ M ________ WR ________ ACT: Composite ________
FATHER’S NAME: _________________________________________________
MOTHER’S NAME (Maiden name) ____________________________________
Name of parent or grandparent who is/was a member of the Department of Oregon Veterans of Foreign Wars: _______________________________________________ Membership Number: _____________ VFW Post Number: ____________________
1. Please attach a neatly typed 300 word essay on the theme: “My Responsibility to America” 2. Submit a Letter of Recommendation from at least one teacher or administrator focusing on your classroom work, as well as your community service. 3. Please include a COPY of your official grade transcripts. 4. This scholarship must be used between September 2017 and June 2018. 5. Deadline: Must be submitted in person NLT 4:00 PM, or by U. S. Mail, post marked NLT February 17, 2017. To: Veterans of Foreign Wars Department of Oregon 12440 NE Halsey Street Portland, Oregon 97230
POST 81 TRUST FUND SCHOLARSHIP
1. This Scholarship is known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 81 Trust Fund Scholarship.
2. The Scholarships awarded will be up to Five One Thousand dollar [$1,000.00] individual Scholarships, and will be paid out of the interest earned on a total amount of $100,000.00 invested. The principal amount of $100,000.00 invested will not be used for any Scholarships or expenses.
3. This is a Department wide Scholarship Program with up to Five  Department winners each year as long as funds allow.
4. The Scholarship will be for any Child, Grand Child or Great-Grandchild of a Department of Oregon VFW member, who is presently, or was a member in good standing upon their death, who is attending any high school, public or private or home schooled. They must be graduating from High School the year of application. The applicant must plan to attend a Community College or Vocational School, or a College or University in the U.S. The Scholarship must be used within one  year of graduation from high school as a full time student. 5. Selection Criteria will be based on Student Curriculum, involvement in School Activities and/or Community Service and a minimum 2.5 GPA. . 6. A Panel will be selected by the Department Scholarship Committee to judge and select winners.
7. The program will begin the 2016-2017 year. Applications will be mailed to Department Headquarters and post marked no later than February 17, 2017.
8. The time and place for the presentation of the Scholarships to the winners shall be determined by the Department Scholarship Committee and the winners will be announced at the Department Convention.
9. The information for the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 81 Trust Fund Scholarship will be put out to all potential students not later than October 1st each year, by announcement in the September/October issue of The Oregon VFW News, as well as being posted on the Department’s website: (www.vfworegon.org). The years Voice of Democracy theme will be used for the 300 word essay.